Sunday, March 2, 2008

Weekend at the Rink

Big rinks boast amenities a plenty but hockey's heart beats loudest in local rinks. That's where I spent most of my time this weekend. I experienced the excitement of house league playoffs. My spawn and his team mates had a 7-0 victory; don't let the score fool you. The competition never let up; it was a goalie having a house league career game that made the difference!

After Spawn's game, we walked over to the bigger rink and watched the St. Mike's Majors take on the Ottawa 67s. Things looked dim for the Majors. Down 1-0 until Kyle Neuber scored his first OHL career goal, the Majors picked up their energy. Casey Cizikas notched the game winner.

The hockey marathon continued when we got home. Saturday nights in our home mean Hockey Night in Canada. Being a fan of Russian hockey, it was a treat to see the Washington Capitals Russian roster - Fedorov, Ovechkin, Semin, host the Toronto Maple Leafs. I got the best of both worlds - Ovechkin scored and the Leafs won!

Sunday morning it was hockey practice. For this night owl, waking up that early on a weekend - UGH. With only a couple more to go, I'll miss them.

Lucky for me I need never look far to get a hockey fix.

No comments: